Monday, August 25, 2014

Last Minute Summer Reads

I think it hit me last week that with summer coming to an end, and this pregnancy coming to an end, I might not have too much leisurely reading time available. So I got my but in gear and sped through three books this last week!

A Child Called It. Don't ask me why I decided to read this… I guess I thought it was one of those books everyone knows about and everyone has read, so I decided I needed to too. It was horrifying. Absolutely cringe worthy, and my jaw was dropped open in shock for most of it.


Amazon's Description:  This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."

Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive--dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.


Where She Went. This is the sequel to If I Stay. And I loved it. More than the first. Sometimes I get mixed feelings about love stories because I want it to have a happy ending but I get annoyed when the story line is too predictable. But this was the perfect balance.


Amazon's Description: Picking up several years after the dramatic conclusion of If I StayWhere She Went continues the story of Adam and Mia, from Adam's point of view. Ever since Mia's decision to stay - but not with him - Adam's career has been on a wonderful trajectory. His album, borne from the anguish and pain of their breakup, has made him a bona fide star. And Mia herself has become a top-rate cellist, playing in some of the finest venues in the world. When their respective paths put them both in New York City at the same time, the result is a single night in which the two reunite - with wholly satisfying results.


The Maze Runner. I didn't realize that this was a series until I finished it, so now I'm going to need to read the rest of them. But once again, the movie is coming out, so I needed to read it. I thought the writing was a little immature (I guess that's what I get for reading YA novels, right?) but it was definitely a page turner that kept me up way past my bedtime.


Amazon's Description: 
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

And the trailer: 



What about you guys? What have you been reading lately? What should I add to my list before Baby M gets here?!


No comments:

Post a Comment