Friday, April 18, 2014

Room & Belly Laughs

First let me say I could not be more happy that today is Friday. It has been a long long week for me and I am ready for my weekend! Also, I gave up ice cream and frozen yogurt for Lent and there is nothing that sounds better to me than vanilla froyo with rainbow sprinkles. You know where I will be after church on Sunday.

Anyway, it has been a little while since I have posted about what I have been reading.

I read Room by Emma Donoghue at the recommendation of a fellow book lover. I was warned that it was intense and about a boy who's mother is impregnated by her kidnapper, and who has spent his whole life living in this one room. I was intrigued and sped through it. I think I read the whole thing in about 4 hours.


Once again I feel that the Amazon description gives away the whole story so I don't recommend reading it if you'd like to maintain a little mystery, but here it is:

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

Also at the recommendation of a friend, I just finished Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy. Another super quick read. You could probably read he whole thing in one sitting but I chose to space it out over the span of my pregnancy so far. I really enjoyed. I laughed, I cried, I grimaced, I nodded in agreement, and shuttered at what is to come. It was great. I definitely recommend if you're in the process of making  a human.


Revealing the naked truth about the tremendous joys, the excruciating pains, and the inevitable disfigurement that go along with pregnancy, Jenny McCarthy tells you what you can really expect when you're expecting! From morning sickness and hormonal rage, to hemorrhoids, granny panties, pregnant sex, and the torture and sweet relief that is delivery, Belly Laughs is must-read comic relief for anyone who is pregnant, has ever been pregnant, is trying to get pregnant, or, indeed, has ever been born!

I'm just now realizing that both of these books have to do with motherhood, not on purpose at all. But I guess it's my sub conscience or something!

Also if you're following along with my 30 Before 30 list, these two books make 8 and 9!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and Easter Sunday! See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment